Be still and know that I am God.
The intent of Contemplative Outreach is to foster the process of transformation in Christ in one another through the practice of Centering Prayer.
Contemplative Outreach Ltd. is a community of individuals and Centering Prayer groups committed to living the contemplative dimension of the Gospel in everyday life.
- A commitment to the daily practice of Centering Prayer is the primary expression of belonging.
- Listening to the word of God in Scripture through the practice of Lectio Divina is encouraged, particularly its movement into contemplative prayer, which a daily practice of Centering Prayer facilitates.
- The source of Centering Prayer is the Indwelling Trinity. Its practice consists of responding to the call of the Holy Spirit to consent to the Divine presence and action within.
- The Divine presence affirms our basic core of goodness made in the image of God.
- The Divine action is the process of transformation in Christ which inspires and deepens our consent.
- The contemplative dimension of the Gospel manifests as an ever-deepening union with Christ and the practical caring for others that flows from this relationship. It reveals the deeper meaning of Christ’s life and teaching.
- Our relationship with the living Christ is the bond uniting us together in mutual love.
- While formed by our respective denominations, we are united in our common search for God and our experience of Christ through Centering Prayer.
- We identify with the Christian contemplative heritage in which Centering Prayer is rooted. We recognize this heritage as the common ground for Christian unity.
- We affirm our solidarity with the contemplative dimension of other religions and sacred traditions.
- Through the continuing practice of Centering Prayer, we experience a deepening commitment to the needs and rights of each member of the human family and an increasing respect for the interdependence of all creation.
- We foster a spirit of unity, generosity and utmost charity in all our relationships.
- Following the teachings of Jesus, we exercise leadership through an attitude of humility, listening and service.
- We recognize and maintain a spiritual relationship with Saint Benedict’s Monastery in Snowmass, Colorado.
- We acknowledge that any good accomplished by Contemplative Outreach is the work of the Holy Spirit.
So that they may all be one; just as You, Father, are in me,
and I in you, may they also be one in us.
There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit;
there are different forms of service but the same Lord;
there are different workings but the same God
who produces all of them in everyone.
I Corinthians 12:4-7
- Contemplative Outreach Ltd. is an evolving community with an expanding vision and deepening practice, serving the changing needs of Christian contemplatives.
- As members of this evolving community we are responsible to foster and transmit the Vision of Contemplative Outreach Ltd.
- We fulfill our Vision through attraction to the Centering Prayer practice not by proselytizing.
- The gift of contemplative practice enables us to bring an attitude of humility, listening and service to our daily activities.
- We reach decisions through discernment and consensus.
- We serve in leadership, ordinarily in a voluntary capacity.
- All who provide Contemplative Outreach Ltd. services do so in consideration of, and in balance with their personal, family, and professional responsibilities.
- We avoid indebtedness and owning real estate in order to remain free to devote our resources to sharing the gift of Centering Prayer.
- We employ staff and contractors as our growth may require.
- We cooperate with church authorities in the areas where we work, but do not seek to become a religious or lay institute.
- We wish to remain accessible to every one. For this reason, we do not endorse particular causes or take part in public controversies, whether religious, political or social. As private individuals, we act according to our conscience.